Learn some tips on what to look for when picking out the best vacuum for bed bugs that will suit your needs.
If there’s a competition on being the most annoying pest, bed bugs would surely be at the top. They disturb our sleep and infests our haven that is our bed. There are ways to get rid of them, and the first step is to choose the best vacuums for bed bugs.
What are the advantages of vacuums for bed bugs?
The common way of stopping a bed bug infestation is to throw away the mattress. It’s not exactly practical, and it takes too much effort to lift the mattress and bring it outside through a few sets of stairs and doors.
There are also chemicals that kill bed bugs, but in this day and age, it would be so much better to avoid supporting chemical-heavy products as they harm the environment.
For these two reasons alone, using vacuums is already more ideal. Most of these vacuums for bed bugs are handheld, making them portable and easier to use. They also do the job of sanitizing the mattress through their advanced sterilization technologies.
These technologies include UV radiation and high-temperature air. The UV radiation breaks down the DNA and other molecules of bed bugs and dust mites and kills them in the process. This makes it easier for the vacuum to suck these pests away from the mattress. On the other hand, the hot air coming from the vacuum sterilizes the surface of the mattress, killing more bacteria and viruses. Because of these techniques, the cleaning surface is thoroughly cleaned and healthy.
Because most of these vacuums are handheld, they are easy to bring around the house. They are built with long power cords so that they can reach more areas of the house. Since they are lightweight, users will not need to exert too much energy to clean the house, especially when they need to transport it from one room or one floor to another.
How to choose the best vacuum for bed bugs
There are several things to consider when buying the best vacuum for bed bugs. Because this is kind of a do-it-yourself endeavor, the best products for you should be chosen based on the following criteria:
Ease of Use
Imagine ordering a vacuum. Then, the parts would most probably still be disassembled, and the only thing stopping you from cleaning those pesky bed bugs is a user manual.
You’re on your own, so getting the device to do its job shouldn’t take you a long time to figure out. The product should be easy to assemble, and the manual should be easy to understand. The parts should also fit perfectly with each other. This way, the product could perform perfectly.
The stronger the suction, the more dirt gets captured. It can also mean that more layers are being penetrated by the vacuum’s power. Because bed bugs are actual living beings that can claw on your mattress, having a powerful suction on the vacuum would ensure that the bugs can really be captured and trapped in the dust bin.
Large capacity dust bin
It’s just cleaner and more convenient to have a huge dust bin. First, the user will not keep on opening the bin to free up space. Think of the number of dust particles and best bugs that could be scattered all over the place because of the constant opening. If the dust bin is huge enough, this could be lessened—even avoided.
Second, if the dust bin does not have enough space, the user will have to constantly pause their cleaning in order to throw away the gathered dust. This takes up more time. It could also cause the user to lose their cleaning momentum and could eventually lead to procrastination, in the long run.
5 Vacuums for Bed Bugs That are Worth Trying Out
1. Dibea Powerful Suction Anti-Dust Mites UV Bed Vacuum Cleaner
The Dibea Powerful Suction Bed Vacuum Cleaner has all the right features for a tiny product. It packs a UV light, strong vibration frequencies, HEPA filtration, and a huge dust bin. All these are packed into a 3.96-pound handheld vacuum.
- The vacuum is built with a UV light that kills molecular particles by breaking their molecular bonds.
- The Dibea Bed Vacuum Cleaner has a safety technology that turns off the radiation when the product is 30 degrees away from the surface.
- The vibration pad on this vacuum can go up to 6,000 times per minute.
- The HEPA filtration keeps the bacteria from spreading on the surface by trapping them.
- The Dibea Bed Vacuum Cleaner is equipped with a 14.7 feet cord that could reach more areas of the house.
- This product is lightweight, weighing only 3.96 pounds.
- The 500mL capacity of the dust bin can contain more dust and particles.
- Ideal for crevices, making the corners dust-free as well.
- The UV light should be prevented from direct exposure to the skin as it may be harmful.
- The opening of the vacuum’s suction is only up to 2 inches wide.
2. Housmile Upgraded Anti-Dust Mites Vacuum Cleaner
The Housmile Upgraded Anti-Dust Mites Vacuum Cleaner is improved with its compact design and eco-friendly features. The dust chamber of this device is built-in, getting rid of a bulky design. It also emits less carbon in the process because of its filtration technology. It stops bed bug infestation while being less harmful to the environment.
- Thorough bacteria-killing with UV tube sterilization and energy cover.
- Traps 99.98% of particles on the surface through the advanced HEPA Filtration.
- The product is lightweight, weighing on 4.5 pounds.
- The design is compact with its dust bin being built-in.
- The Housmile Vacuum Cleaner reduces its carbon emission by its activated carbon filtration technology.
- It tends to suck the fabric from comforter, blankets, and pillows.
- The suction may weaken with future uses.
- The UV light feature can cause the vacuum to overheat quickly.
3. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
Steam does wonders in general cleaning, and the Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner does just that. This product is so versatile that its users can switch from cleaning the floor to cleaning the bed in a matter of seconds. All they need to do is change the nozzle.
This product is also eco-friendly because it doesn’t use any chemicals to start cleaning. Just put 1,600mL of water in the tank, and users can already clean for up to 50 minutes. The steam can then clean up grease, grout, and sanitize the mattress to get rid of bedbugs.
- This product is chemical free because it uses tap water.
- It only takes 7 minutes to heat up.
- It works on the kitchen counter, the carpet, the window, the bed, the sofa—everywhere.
- One load of water in the tank can reach up to 50 minutes of cleaning.
- It can reach a lot of places because of its 5-meter power cord and 2-meter steam hose.
- Bringing it around is smooth and easy because of the rolling wheels.
- It effectively removes grease.
- It makes spot-cleaning the carpet easier than spray cleaners or soap and water.
- It doesn’t have a water level indicator to inform the user for the remaining time they have left to clean.
- There is a 20-minute waiting time for the tank to refill.
- The hose and the handle of the product can get hot the longer the product is used.
- The steam causes droplets while cleaning, so a microfiber towel
could come in handy.
4. Houzetek Bed Vacuum Cleaner
The Houzetek Vacuum Cleaner is equipped with advanced modern technology that makes it an ideal vacuum for bed bugs. The device has a 10kpa suction that captures bed bugs after they are sterilized by the UV light. There is also a 6-layer filtration system that promises to trap dust particles as tiny as 0.3 microns.
- Added level of cleaning with the three rows of S-type brush.
- The Centrifugal Cyclone Filtration System ensures that all the particles are trapped in the dust bin and that the emanated air is as clean as it could be.
- The device can reach several areas of the house because of the 14.7-feet long power cord.
- It is extremely lightweight, only weighing 1 pound.
- It has a 400mL dust bin, perfect for holding more dirt.
- The UV lamp kills microorganisms hiding in the mattress, sheets, and sofas.
- Smart technology is used to turn off the UV light when it is lifted 5 centimeters away from the cleaning surface, and it automatically turns back on when placed back on the surface.
- This device is wired, limiting the area that can be reached.
- Some important parts of the device (such as the handle, dust bin, dust bin cover, and rubber gasket) are not latched on properly that it affects the vacuum’s performance and functionality.
5. Euleven UV Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
The Euleven UV Handheld Vacuum Cleaner is a new handheld vacuum for bed bugs that is built-in with extra sterilization technology. Not only does it kill bed bugs through the UV light, it also blows high-temperature air up 55 degrees Celcius to disinfect the cleaning surface. It also has double suctions to make sure that every single it of microorganisms is removed from the mattress.
- The device releases hot air at the bottom to sterilize the cleaning surface.
- It uses UV light to break down and kill dust mites and bed bugs.
- It ensures the safety of the user by using pressure-sensitive rolling wheels that detect when to prevent UV leakage.
- The vacuum is lightweight with only 3.2 pounds in weight.
- The product effectively sucks dust mites and bed bugs with its powerful double suctions.
- It has high-frequency vibration that rattles small particles out of the mattress.
- The advanced filtration system prevents dust particles to scatter in the air by making sure that these particles are trapped in the bin.
- There is a possibility that the UV lamp will not turn on if the product is used on dark or shiny materials.
- The product does not have much storage on its dust chamber.
- The hot air can be enough to make the user uncomfortable with prolonged use.
- UV light is harmful with direct contact on the skin.
These vacuums for bed bugs are clearly modern and innovative, but the Dibea Powerful Suction Anti-Dust Mites UV Bed Vacuum Cleaner checks the boxes for ease of use, suction power, and dust bin capacity.
The design is compact that it does not require a lot of moving parts. This means that the fewer detaching and attaching that could happen for the device, the more durable it could be.
It utilizes a high-frequency vibration that beats particles out of the mattress, making the suction of dust more effective because the particles would already be on the surface before being sucked in.
Its 500mL dust bin is among the biggest out of the five products, and it is packed in such a small, lightweight device that is easy to be carried around and built for corners and crevices.
Finding the right vacuum for bed bugs is essential because the infestation of these pests could be the biggest disturbance to your sleep—and your skin.